Chairman of SC House Ways & Means Committee Brian White and Director of SC Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Duane Parrish joined Commissioners and Staff of Pendleton District Historical, Recreational, and Tourism Commission and members of Easley Chamber of Commerce in cutting the ribbon to officially re-open the Commission’s 162 year-old Regional Tourism headquarters building, Hunter’s Store Friday,
Few buildings last 162 years, but Hunter’s Store has stood sentinel over the Village Green of Pendleton since 1850. First used as a General Store where patrons purchased everything from rope to ribbons, shoes to salt, yard goods to yams, and forged mallets to fresh meat, the building was used for storage after the “New” Hunter’s Store was built just across Jackson Street in the late 1920’s. In 1968, Pendleton District Commission took ownership and made several changes to the building to allow for its use as the Regional Tourism and Historic Preservation headquarters, installing running water and electricity. The current restoration re-opened the original front doors, created additional support for the second floor, returned the side entry to its original location, added shelving for handicap accessible historic publications and papers, and made space for a growing collection of Local History documents and artifacts as well as a large number of local and regional tourism brochures. Plans are underway to create displays featuring the work of additional local artists and artisans, thus enticing visitors to purchase locally crafted products.
Those who joined in celebrating the restoration of Hunter’s Store will be able to point with pride to the structure and tell their great-grandchildren they were here when the building’s front doors were re-opened to the public. With the completion of the restoration, the grand old building should stand for at least another 162 years!